This page contains information for registering new students AND for parents of students moving into 3rd and 6th grades (who need to provide proof of residency to the school office).
If you are registering children at more than one RUSD school, it is necessary to provide each school site all of the documents required for registration. Questions or concerns may be directed to the school principal at each school. In the summer, you should contact the District Superintendent's Office.
INFORMATION FOR REGISTRATION OF NEW STUDENTS
Complete registration for new students by scheduling an appointment at the school office. Please bring the following ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS to the meeting:
The following ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS are currently required for student registration in the Reed Union School District:
- Child's ORIGINAL birth certificate or passport
- Current health requirements (immunization and medical/dental forms)
- Proof of residency
- Child's most recent report card (if you have it)
Requirements For Proof of Residency
State law requires that public schools verify student residence. Board Policy number 5111.1 of the Reed Union School District and Education Code 48204.6 provide that evidence of residency be submitted for each student desiring to attend schools within the district. As evidence of residency within the Reed Union School District, at a minimum, three documents will be required: One ORIGINAL DOCUMENT from Category 1, Category 2, and Category 3.
ONE of the following ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS showing parent/guardian's picture ID from the following list:
- Current California State Driver's License; or
- Current California State ID Card; or
- Valid passport or consulate issued picture ID.
ONE of the following ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS with the parent/guardian's name and address from the following list (PLEASE NOTE: Utility bills are not accepted as proof of residency):
- Current valid vehicle registration; or
- Current bank statement, issued within 35 days from the date of registration; or
- Current letter from a government agency with parent/guardian's name and address.
ONE of the following ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS with the parent/guardian's name and address from the following list:
- CURRENT PROPERTY TAX BILL with parent/guardian's name and property address, indicating homeowner's exemption; or
- CURRENT RENTAL OR LEASE AGREEMENT with parent/guardian's name, student name, and address, as well as manager or owner's name and phone number (Note: If your lease has gone to "month to month", you must bring a current letter from the Landlord stating that you still live at that address and including the date, address and names of tenants); or
- CURRENT GRANT DEED that is certified by the County Recorder's Office.
Parents/guardians who do not live in the district and falsify residency information will be asked to enroll their child in the district of residence and will be given two weeks to make the adjustment.
Parents of a child new to the District who is entering Grades 3 through 5 should also provide:
All of the items listed above PLUS the child's most recent report card.
Parents of a child new to the District who is entering Grades 6 through 8 should also provide:
All of the items listed above PLUS: For 7th grade entry, a child must also meet the 7th grade requirements of a second dose of MMR and a Tdap booster.
All students entering 7th and 8th grades will need proof of a Tdap booster shot before starting school.
Is my home in the Reed Union School District?
The Reed Union School District serves Belvedere, Tiburon, and a portion of east Corte Madera. There are some areas, however, which are not part of the District, even though they may appear to be part of Tiburon and may indeed carry Tiburon in their mailing address. Cypress Hollow, Strawberry, and Strawberry Point areas are in the Mill Valley School District. The Marin County Assessor's Office (415-499-7215, X6) can quickly answer whether or not an address is in a particular school district by simply looking to see what school district receives your school property tax dollars. You may also contact the Superintendent's Office at 415-381-1112 for further information concerning District boundaries.
Reed District's interdistrict transfer policies are available under Board Policies. Interdistrict transfers are only accepted into Reed Union School District under very rare circumstances.
Open Enrollment Act Transfers
Under the terms of SBX5 4 Open Enrollment Act, and Education Code sections 48354 and 48356, parents whose child is attending a school identified by the State Superintendent of Public instruction as on the Open Enrollment List may apply for an Interdistrict Transfer to a school that has a higher Academic Performance Index. Transfer applications shall be submitted between March 1 and May 1 of the preceding school year for which the transfer is requested. See BP 5118, Open Enrollment Act Transfers for requirements and limits.